The Department of Corrections announced today that Wellington Prison (Mt Crawford) is to be reopened and prisoners transferred back into the prison on Monday 6 July.
The prison was temporarily closed in June last year as the prison’s capacity was not required.
Recent increases in the national prison population have required the Department to reopen the prison to make use of the 120 beds.
“It has become necessary for us to make use of the prison once more given the high demand for prison beds that is being experienced around the country,” says Acting Assistant Regional Manager Tony Howe.
Wellington Prison is one of the country’s oldest prisons, built in 1927 to replace the original Terrace gaol.
“While the prison is old the public can be assured that it has been maintained to ensure that the security of the site remains sufficient and that they will not be put at risk.
“We will begin transferring prisoners into the prison from 6 July. In the past the prison has operated at its capacity of 120 prisoners, there is no intention to increase this number.
“Our staff work on a regional contract that allows them to work at all three Wellington prisons. Staff who worked at Wellington Prison before it was closed will have the opportunity to return to work at the site.
“The Department has a national prisoner population management system. In cases where we have an area experiencing muster pressure then we will transfer prisoners to somewhere with spare capacity. Wellington Prison will be used as part of this system once again,” says Mr Howe.
Based on the 2008 Justice Sector Forecast, prisoner numbers are expected to reach 12,500 by 2018. Wellington Prison will be used to meet this increased demand as will double bunking, which was recently announced by the Government in the Budget.
For further information contact the Communications Services Desk:
Note to reporter:
Wellington Prison holds Minimum to High Security Prisoners
Copyright © Department of Corrections | Feedback and queries email: firstname.lastname@example.org