Past Census of Prison Inmates and Home Detainees
The Census of prison inmates and home detainees was replaced by the Offender Volumes Report.
The census provides a snapshot of the inmate population, which assists the Department in the analysis of how best to respond to offenders' needs and reduce re-offending.
A census of prison inmates has been carried out biennially in November since 1987. The Department of Justice administered the census until 1993, and the Ministry of Justice until 1997. The Department of Corrections took over this responsibility in 1999. The current census provides statistical data on inmates within the prison system as at 20 November 2003.
- Census of Prison Inmates and Home Detainees 2003
- Census of Prison Inmates and Home Detainees 2001 (2003) (PDF : 649 KB)
- Full Census of Prison Inmates 1999 (2000) (PDF: 3.0 MB)
- Executive Summary Section One of Census of Prison Inmates 1999 - Executive Summary (2000) (PDF: 358 KB)
- Snap Shot Data Section Two of Census of Prison Inmates 1999- Snap Shot Data (non time series based) (2000) (PDF: 1.7 MB)
- Time Series Data Section Three of Census of Prison Inmates 1999 - Time Series Data (2000) (PDF: 580 KB)
- Sources of Information Section Four of Census of Prison Inmates 1999 - Sources of Information (2000) (PDF: 378 KB)