The Departments Outcomes
The Department's two outcomes are 'Protecting the Public' and 'Reducing Re-offending'.
The Department contributes to 'protecting the public' by:
- providing a safe environment for staff and the public
- managing offenders in a safe, secure and humane manner
- ensuring appropriate compliance with, and administration of, sentences and orders
- providing information to the judiciary to inform the sentencing process and release conditions
- supporting reparation to the community.
The Department contributes to 'reducing re-offending' through changing offending behaviour by providing targeted rehabilitative and reintegrative initiatives, including education, work experience and skills.
To do this, the Department supplies:
- a risk and needs assessment for each offender to determine how best to address their offending behaviour
- programmes to encourage offenders to address their offending behaviour
- programmes to address offenders' offence-related needs
- education, training and work experience to assist offenders to secure employment on release
- assistance with accessing community services.