These procedures are designed to ensure that prisoner property is correctly:
- issued or stored, and
- recorded both on IOMS and in hardcopy on the prisoner’s file.
These procedures cover the following:
- the issuing, management and disposal of standard issue property.
- the recording, labelling, storing and disposing of unclaimed property on prison sites, including property of doubtful ownership and that of an escapee.
- checking, receipting, packing and handover of prisoner property upon release or discharge of the prisoner, and the disposal of the property of a prisoner who has died in custody.
- how prisoner property may be added to one of the property schedules, or moved from one schedule to another.
These procedures detail:
- making decisions about storing prisoner property, including valuable items, and in labelling, storage conditions, and prisoner inspection.
- checking and labelling of prisoner property before transfer, the checking of television sets before and after transfer, and minimum clothing and toiletries to be issued to a prisoner on transfer.
- how a prisoner’s claim for lost or damaged property is made, investigated, decided and paid.
- destruction and disposal of prisoner property, and requiring its removal from prison.