- 14 central kitchens to provide meals to prisoners
- 11 laundries
- one print shop
- four distribution centres
Internal service industries are:
- ground and asset management
This industry provides employment for over 500 prisoners.
The services within this industry, excluding the print shop and semi-commercial laundry, are for the purposes of servicing the prisons.
Prisoners working within the central kitchens prepare all meals on site under the direct supervision of offender employment catering instructors.
- all catering instructors are trade qualified chefs
- all prisoner meals are based on a predetermined menu which is nationally consistent and is prepared for over 8,000 prisoners each day
- the national menu consists of a 28 day rotating menu that is certified by qualified dieticians and caters for prisoner’s dietary needs
- all prison kitchens provide internal function catering services. Waikeria prison has a semi-commercial bakery which bakes bread and pies for the central kitchen in line with the national prisoner menu.
All laundry for prisoners is carried out on site by Corrections laundry operations.
The print shop provides printing and design services for Corrections and other Government agencies and a number of external clients. Products range from letterhead and business cards to full colour brochures, bound catalogues and large format printing.
There are four distribution centres providing prisoner canteen services to prisoners. These are at: Auckland Region Women’s Corrections Facility, Waikeria, Rimutaka and Christchurch Men’s prisons.
Prisoners are allowed to place orders from an approved list of items, which are then picked and packed by prisoners employed in these centres and delivered to the prisoner’s units weekly.