Staying connected with friends and family
Prison visits under COVID-19 Alert Level 1
Visitors are welcome but we are taking extra precautions to keep everyone safe from COVID-19.
These precautions apply to all prison visits.
- If you are sick, stay at home.
- Thermal cameras will screen everyone coming into prison in case they have a high temperature which could indicate COVID-19 infection or another illness. If you have a temperature of 38 C or higher, you may not be able to visit that day.
- All visitors to our sites will be asked to wash their hands or use hand sanitiser.
- All visitors to our sites will be asked the Ministry of Health screening questions.
- Visitors will have to confirm up to date contact information in case there are concerns of exposure to COVID-19.
- At Alert Level 1 physical distancing is not required but is still a safe precaution to take where practicable.
As well as visiting in person there are other ways to stay in touch by phone , mail, email and video calling.
- We have installed more phones for people in prison to call loved ones.
- It is easier to email a prisoner – see the list of email addresses to send an email to someone in prison (a staff member will print it out and give it to the person). They can reply by post.
- Video calling is being expanded for eligible prisoners to video call their approved visitors.
Thank you for helping us to keep everyone safe from COVID-19.
For more COVID-19 health advice and information call Healthline free on 0800 358 5453. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and has access to interpreters.
To find out whether someone is in prison, or which prison they are in - write or email us to find out.Learn more about Locating a prisoner
All our prisons have standard Telecom payphones for people in prison to use. The phones are located in the common area of each unit.Learn more about Phone calls
People in prison can receive email and send and receive letters from friends and family in the community.Learn more about Email and Mail
Approved visitors are welcome at prisons under COVID-19 Alert Level 1 - wiht some extra safety precautions in place.Learn more about Visits
Corrections is expanding video calling for people in prison to help them stay in touch with their loved ones.Learn more about Video calling
Find out if you are eligible to apply for funding to visit a parent or child in prison.Learn more about Travel assistance for visits