Our place in the justice sector
Corrections is part of the government’s justice sector alongside other core organisations:
- Ministry of Justice – develops policy across the justice sector and forecasts the future size of the prison population
- Police – arrests and prosecutes law-breakers
- Courts – tries and sentences offenders and collect fines
- Parole Board – decides parole applications
- Crown Law Office – represents Corrections in court cases
- Child, Youth and Family – manages young offenders
- Ombudsman – considers complaints about the treatment of prisoners.
The outcomes we work towards within the wider justice sector are:
Part of the international corrections system
Corrections is a member of the Asian and Pacific Conference of Corrections Administrators (APCCA). This is an annual meeting where senior corrections representatives of nations and territories in the Asia-Pacific region gather to discuss corrections issues.
We’re also a member of the International Corrections and Prisons Association (ICPA), which provides a forum for criminal justice professionals to join in a dialogue and share ideas and practices aimed at advancing professional corrections.