In September 2018 Corrections entered into a partnership with Cornerstone Infrastructure Partners (CIP), a consortium of builders, contractors and financers to design, construct, finance, and maintain the new facilities. Corrections will be responsible for managing and operating the prison.
The project will deliver:
- Prison accommodation, with health and rehabilitative spaces and services for up to 500 men in prison.
- A dedicated mental health and addictionservice for an additional 100 men based within an on-site facility.
- Office space for administrative and custodial staff, as well as staff amenities.
- Visits facilities and audio-visual suites to facilitate court hearings.
- A series of road safety enhancements on Waikeria Road and State Highway 3 to support higher levels of traffic to and from the prison.
- A number of supporting works including wastewater upgrades and ecological enhancements.
The project site is 21 hectares, consists of 29 new buildings, and includes a secure perimeter fence of 1.7km in length.
Works started on site in late 2018 to prepare for construction and piling began in May 2019. The new facilities are being developed adjacent to existing Waikeria Prison accommodation units.