Working effectively with Maori Offenders
He Kete Matauranga
Nau mai haere mai ki He Kete Matauranga. Welcome to He Kete Matauranga.
One of our key objectives is to be effective with Maori offenders. We want to build the capability, knowledge and confidence of all CP staff to work effectively with Maori offenders, whanau and their communities. This approach is based on some key strengths and principles of Maori culture such as Whanaungatanga (how we engage and enhance these relationships) and Manaakitanga (how we care for and give support to enable these relationships to flourish).
Key Immediate OutcomesBy engaging effectively with Maori offenders, whanau or local communities, our staff will:
- develop a trusting relationship
- assist in holding offenders to account
- increase offenders’ compliance with sentences and orders
- support the offender to sustain positive lifestyle changes beyond sentence completion
- Identify and bring into play the strengths that offenders and their whanau possess
- provide balance by supporting protective factors such as pro-social support and positive cultural influences.