The purpose of these procedures is for staff to manage the visitors who have been admitted into a prison and their departure safely and ensuring the security of the prison is maintained at all times.
V.04.01 Observe visit
- Visitors are accounted for at all times.
- Staff are to observe all visits between private visitors and prisoners.
- Every visitor to the facility is greeted and treated with respect.
- Any visitor behaving inappropriately, or aggressively or is threatening or intimidating towards others must be removed from the prison. If the visitor is to be excluded, the procedures V.03.04 Excluding visitors from future visits must be followed.
V.04.02 Visual recording
- No visit to a prisoner may be recorded by sound or visual recording unless the person making the recording:
- obtains the approval of the prison director, the prisoner(s) and the visitor(s) or
- obtains the approval of the Deputy Chief Executive Corporate Services or reception/movements manager and the prisoner or prisoners concerned, if the recording involves a publisher, broadcaster, producer, disseminator of news, writer or journalist; or any employee or agent of the above, or any other person if the purpose is to broadcast or publish the recording.
- When deciding whether to approve any sound or visual recording of a prisoner or prisoners the Deputy Chief Executive Corporate Services or reception/movements manager must consider the need to protect the interests of people other than the prisoner or prisoners concerned, and the maintenance of the security and order of the prison. Approval must not be given unless the Deputy Chief Executive Corporate Services or reception/movements manager is satisfied that the prisoner understands the nature and purpose off the sound or visual recording, and the possible consequence(s) of the broadcast or publication of it to the prisoner, and other people concerned.
- If approval is given, it may be subject to any condition(s) reasonably necessary to protect the interest of any person other than the prisoner or prisoners concerned, or maintain the security and order of the prison.
- The use of security surveillance cameras in a prison is not precluded if the cameras only record visual images, and notices informing visitors that they are in use are prominently displayed in visiting areas.
V.04.03 Visitor departure
- Prison staff are to:
- escort visitors to the prison exit point
- confirm visitor identity
- retrieve visitor slip e.g. Kalamazoo slip
- update IOMS at time of the visitor’s departure.