Prisoner finance / activities
- Prisoners are to be given the opportunity to positively and constructively use their non-sentence plan time for educational, leisure, sport, recreation, cultural and spiritual activities.
- Prisoners are assisted to identify viable opportunities for non-sentence plan activities while taking into account their other management requirements.
- Prisoners are encouraged and supported to gain the benefits of participating in non-sentence plan activities.
- Prisoners are encouraged to undertake extramural education, at their own cost, and on having addressed offending needs where a lack of education was identified as a factor related to their offending.
- Contracted sentence plan programmes, including work, take precedence over non-sentence plan activities.
- Designated prison staff are responsible for the development and co-ordination of leisure, sport and recreation activities.
- Prisoner committees are encouraged to facilitate non-sentence plan activities.
- Adequate facilities, time, and resources are available to meet prisoners' non-sentence plan activity needs.
- Strategies are in place to ensure each prisoner's safety when they participate in activities and use equipment associated with that activity.
- Each prison or unit has a documented procedure to manage and control the accumulation and disposal of hobby items and leisure, sport and recreation equipment.
- Prisoners' property is not used for departmental purposes or work.
- Fundraising activities are undertaken in accordance with the approved procedures.
- No entertainment videos / DVDs will be screened unless they are programme material being shown in the course of programme delivery.