F.06 Disposable safety razor
These procedures apply only in the case of prisoners accommodated in high security, remand or youth units. Their purpose is to reduce the number of incidents involving razor blades.
Criteria for issuing disposable safety razors to prisoners
- Prisoners accommodated in a high security unit, remand unit or a youth unit will be issued one disposable safety razor per day on request, unless the prisoner has an electric razor.
- Where possible, disposable safety razors should be issued to prisoners locked in their cell.
F.06.01 Issuing disposable safety razors to prisoners
- Prisoners are to be given the opportunity each day to request the use of a single disposable safety razor.
- Unit staff must record that a disposable safety razor has been issued to a prisoner.
- The daily muster sheet should be used to record the issuing of disposable safety razors.
- Prisoners are prohibited from purchasing razor blades through the P119 system.
F.06.02 Collecting disposable safety razors issued to prisoners
- Unit staff must collect the disposable safety razors issued to prisoners no later than one and a half hours (90 minutes) after issue.
- Unit staff must wear protective gloves when collecting used disposable safety razors.
- At the time the used disposable safety razor is returned by the prisoner, unit staff must check that there are no blades missing.
- Used disposable safety razors must be placed in a dedicated container immediately after they have been received and checked.
- Unit staff must record that the disposable safety razors have been returned. The daily muster sheet should be used to record the return of disposable safety razors.
- Disposable safety razors collected from prisoners must not be re-issued.
F.06.03 Emptying of the disposable safety razor container
- Each week, or as required, used disposable safety razors placed in the disposal container should be double bagged and placed in the bin at the rubbish collection point by a staff member or prisoners under supervision.
- Unit staff or prisoners must wear protective gloves when emptying the disposable safety razor container.
F.06.04 Refusal to return blades or blades missing from collected disposable safety razors
- If a disposable safety razor has not been returned when requested by unit staff, or staff have identified the disposable safety razor blades have been tampered with (blade(s) missing), the unit staff must order the prisoner to return the disposable safety razor or blade(s).
- If the prisoner refuses to comply, they are to be moved to a secure location, where a “reasonable grounds” strip search can be conducted.
- If the disposable safety razor was not located in the strip search, unit staff must undertake a cell search to retrieve the disposable safety razors.
- The prisoner may be placed on misconduct for the following:
- returning a disposable safety razor with missing blades
- not returning a disposable safety razor within the allocated time
- having a disposable safety razor in their possession outside allocated times (where a prisoner is prohibited from keeping a disposable safety razor in their possession)
- using the disposable safety razor blade for any purpose other than personal grooming.